Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Korean Grub

//a photo collage of unique Korean food //
American folks have a hard time believing that nearly everything is made from rice, and that children willingly eat rice and fermented cabbage every meal.
I scrounged my photos from Korea for food shots; here's a mix of favorite, terrifying, and tempting treats found on the Asian peninsula.

Dukboki_rice cakes with spicy sauce


Pajeon_Korean style pancake with kimchee, seafood/onion, or potato

Buckwheat noodles with cabbage and soy (?) based broth

Picnic lunch with my students: Kimbab and fruit

San Bipbim Bop_ Rice, egg, and veg (maybe picked from the mountain we just climbed) mixed together with a sweet/spicy red sauce.

Dolsot Bibim Bop - veggies, meat, egg and rice mixed together with mystery sauce in a hot bowl. [yum!]

Rice ball filled with various surprises: kimchi, bulgogi: marinated beef, tuna, cucumber salad, or..... spam!


A glimpse into the possibility of side dishes served at every meal. Featuring_tofu, bean sprouts, spinach, kimchi, cucumber, fish cake, and beans.

Bulgogi Hotpot: Marinated beef, starch noodles, lots of garlic, and mushrooms

Mountain snacks: ramen noodles, instant coffee, nuts, and bundagee: silk worms, if you're (un)lucky!

Crazy & disgusting bone soup, but if you think this is bad, the Korean guy next to me was eating blood soup. siiick!

Mandu Stew: meat filled dumplings in a spicy broth with pork, egg, and veg


Galbi: marinated beef grilled at the table. So fun! and served with rice, soup, and lettuce to wrap the meat.

shhhhh! my indulgence; cafe mocha. Koreans can make decent coffee & have a great winter treat, sweet potato lattes~

Dalgi Soju Cocktail made with real strawberries~ and served with the cutest glasses!

Soondubu Jigae: Spicy Tofu Soup

Some Korean rice is purple, "it's good for your health"
Serving it within an acorn squash really made me love this restaurant

Oh, yea, dried octopus is a treat eaten with peanuts and beer. Now that I look at it, I wonder if that is actually octopus or another sea creature?

YUM! Song Pyun!!! Eaten around the Chuseok holiday, this rice cake is filled with sweet red beans or sesame seed paste.

Being back in America, and the land of variety, I miss the chef at school, and the kimbap ladies! I'm happy to not pay $30 for a burrito, but where is the donkas and cold noodle soup? I can barely get a decent bowl of rice around this place!! ^.~

1 comment:

  1. HaHa You are a great photographer~!!I wanna eat all these food!!! you tried many korean food. even more than me~

    ReplyDelete