Monday, April 19, 2010

Language || Barrier

I awoke this morning to a leaky faucet in the bathroom, actually more like a full force hot water blow out~ moisture covered every surface, including the ceiling. I rounded up the land lady and she bantered some Korean at me, and had only one English word for the situation "Broken!" My reply ~ "jin-ja???" [just kidding] Then she grabbed my keys and fled the scene.

Meanwhile I had to be to work in 15 minutes, and it's about a 20 minute walk from my apartment. The kids are only calm for so long before their rowdy ways would draw the director to my classroom and she would discovery my tardiness. Tracking down the adjumma with my Korean speaking friend on the phone, we made a plan for the sink repair and I made it to school before chaos broke out in England Class.

After this eventful morning I deemed a double shot latte more than necessary. I asked for a little sugar, and was instead treated to a pinch of salt~~~ I was too dumbfounded to react quickly enough and just added it to the list of happenings for the day. Oh yea, besides the spraying sink and salty coffee, I shut my finger in the door, forgot my umbrella while it was raining, and tried to push the "pull" door, TWICE! :P

Okay, okay, okay ~~ but the story has a happy ending. When I returned to my apartment I discovered not only a shiny new faucet and shower head, but a clean bathroom, scrubbed down door, repainted wall, AND the adjumma removed the black mold that had been spreading in the outdoor area!! (something that I'd been meaning to do for the past month)

I ran upstairs with endless gratitude and a gift of oranges and bananas. She resisted at first but I force them on her adjumma style; only to then, twenty minutes later, find her outside my door with a gift of pears, yogurt, and mountain water!!
"ai-goo" ~ don't worry adjumma, now I know where your apartment is, every time I think about the daunting task of black mold I will be bringing you a gift!! ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment