Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Family in Korea (^_^)


Last Sunday I met with Jin, my Aunt Inye's 26 year old niece. She lives just outside Seoul in a village near Macheon Station. We meet in Insa-dong, the artsy, cultural, tourist hub of Seoul. We settled into the floor at The Old Tea Shop to share life stories while birds fluttered around above our heads and we sipped traditional Korean tea.


Jin is an only child, much like myself. She still lives with her parents in her childhood house. Her parents and her own a bakery in the village; Jin puts in over 12 hours every day along side her parents. She studied design in university and has dabbled in many different areas of the creative field. When I meet her she was wearing accessories that she had fashioned herself. In our many email correspondences she also shared with me Hanbok, traditional Korean dress, she had designed and made.

In the near future Jin plans to go back to school for either English Literature or Social Work. Her dream for further on in life is to own a tea and guest house much like the one we spend the afternoon in.

I think Jin is a true Korean; she likes spicy food and prefers to sleep on the floor except she doesn't like to have her picture taken, and that is so not Korean.

Our Sunday together consisted of peering into the windows and open doors of traditional Korean houses, strolling the grounds of the Changgyeonggung Palace, drinking tea, and shopping in Insa-dong admiring the creative world around us. The language between us made communicating difficult at times, but there was a pinky promise to learn the other's language a bit more and a trip to Japan next summer! (^_~)

1 comment:

  1. I just stumbled upon your blog, and absolutely adore it. I feel that I can live vicariously through your travels while I sit in my cubicle in NY. It appears that you are having a wonderful time and really submerging yourself in the culture.. it's the way to go! Keep having a blast and updating me on your travels/ life. Be safe! xox

    ReplyDelete