Monday, February 1, 2010

BUSTED!

Remember that Korean inspired pagoda I spent weeks carefully building up and piecing together....

Yea, that one. Well it made its way into the kiln last week.....

And it made its way out in eight pieces. BUSTED.

The construction method left gaps of air between the tiers. In the heat of the kiln the pressure built and caused the project to disassemble into a nice pile of rubble. So, I'm pretty sure that means I failed my hand building final, but my teacher hasn't asked me to step down from the wheel yet. [maybe it's the language barrier]

Here's a few shots of my beginner attempts at cup making. I'm awaiting a video demonstration from Greg and Justin. Until then I'll just keep pulling, changing variables, and studying Korean with hopes to fully understand my teacher.

1 comment:

  1. The wall thickness of your work speaks wonders about your ceramic future - quite impressive. Ask your teacher for a 24 pound lump of clay and a blindfold, and tell him that you'll make it into a perfect 24-pound cup with one, blind, 45-second-long, pull. First, while no one is looking, you must make sure you're able to do it.

    ReplyDelete